History of Trinity
A Brief History of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Creston, Iowa
50th Anniversary Booklet (View Online) (PDF)
75th Anniversary Booklet (View Online) (PDF)
This page is under construction please send comments and suggestions to history@TrinityCreston.org
(watch for pictures of all Trinity's previous pastors, coming soon!)
(updated June 8, 2012)
The Rev. F. Starke
July - Services held in the home of Otto Gaidies, 405 South Division.
The Rev. Otto Lossner (1925-1938) - First Pastor
November - Pastor Lossner installed as mission pastor.
January 3 - Received as a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio, and other States.
July 8 - Dedication of Church Building - Purchased / Moved to Broad Street
October 17 - Formal organization of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other States.
The Rev. Arnold Bertram (1938-1940)
The Rev. W. E. Wagner (1941)
The Rev. Wilbur H. Becker (1942-1944)
The Rev. Edward Heinicke (1945-1948)
The Rev. Marvin Matzke (1949-1954)
March 29 - Church on Broad Street Destroyed by Fire
March 28 - Church building dedicated - 800 N Sumner Ave
The Rev. Norman Laesch (1955-1957)
The Rev. Donald F. Ginkel (1958-1965)
December 3 - Office, Narthex, Classroom Addition to Church Dedicated
The Rev. Paul A. Faga (1965-1973)
Trinity Becomes Self-Supporting (District Mission Subsidy Ends)
The Rev. Henry Stoll (1974-1976)
The Rev. Larry D. Troxel (1976-1982)
June 18 - Celebration of 50th Anniversary - 50th Anniversary Booklet (PDF)
The Rev. Glen D. Meyer (1982-1996)
September - Trinity Lutheran Preschool is started as a mission for the children in the area.
September 3 - Fellowship Hall Dedicated
The Rev. David M. McKnight (1996-1999)
The Rev. David Rubke (2000-2005)
October - 75th Anniversary Celebration - 75th Anniversary Booklet (View Online) (PDF)
Summer - Outdoor Worship Center Built
The Rev. Jonathan C. Watt (2008-2016)
September 7 - Installation, Rev. Jonathan C. Watt
Pastors attending: Jay Wheeler, Jerry Wagoner, Don Craig, Ray Smith, Larry Boye, John Schauer, Nathan Dudley and Bill Sabol
Electronic church sign was installed in Creston.
January 12, 2014-Closing service for First Lutheran Church in Mt. Ayr. They officially joined with Trinity to become one congregation with preaching stations in Creston and Mt. Ayr.
The Rev. John B Rutz (Installed September 11, 2016)
Spring- A set of three steel outdoor crosses was placed in front of the church in Creston.
A new outdoor nativity set was purchased and used for the first time.
In 2018, Trinity celebrated 90 years as a congregation. On November 18, 2019 a special 90th Anniversary Service was held followed by a dinner.
Several of Trinity's former pastors were able to attend and participate in the service along with a couple of sons of the congregation, who are now pastors. Those who were able to attend were Rev. Larry Troxel, Rev. Glenn Meyer, Rev. Donald Ginkel, former pastors at Trinity, and Rev. Michael Breach and Rev. Martin Herzberg, sons of the congregation. A 90th Anniversary quilt (pictured below) was made by Jean Kruse, Sue Larsen, and Joyce Kruse. Each diamond shape represented a piece of Trinity's history. Guest, Craig Kruse, nephew of Warren and Jean Kruse, provided special music for the day. Thanks be to God for 90 years of blessings!
L-R Rev. John Rutz (current pastor at Trinity), Rev. Michael Breach (son of the congregation, currently serving in Wheaton, MN), Rev. Larry Troxel (pastor at Trinity from 1976-1982), Rev. Martin Herzberg (son of the congregation, currently serving in Lahoma, OK), Rev. Donald Ginkel (pastor at Trinity from 1958-1965), and Rev. Glenn Meyer (pastor at Trinity from 1982-1996).